Friday, September 7, 2007

Choice

This is an unusually serious topic for a Friday, but it's something that's been on my mind.

I've thought a lot about whether, if I ever got pregnant by accident, I would have an abortion. I've recently concluded that I would, although of course not without telling my husband and giving him a chance to weigh in on the subject. But ultimately, I believe I would terminate the pregnancy because I really don't want a child. And I believe all children should be wanted.

This isn't the place to debate whether we believe abortion is wrong or not, and I won't respond to comments that attempt to engage me in that debate. Please, let's just keep that out of this. I'm solid in my views on the subject and they aren't going to change, nor are anyone else's. This post is about whether I would exercise my legal rights in such a situation. And I would -- to the fullest extent of the law.

I understand that some don't believe in abortion, and that's another topic for another day. What I don't understand are those folks who do accept abortion, don't want children, and yet somehow believe that if they became pregnant, it would be some sort of blessing and they should simply go with the flow. An unwanted child would not be a blessing for me; it would be a nightmare. And while the decision to terminate would no doubt be difficult, I strongly believe it would be in the best interests of everyone involved.

I've heard people argue that in this situation, "married, stable" couples shouldn't be choosing to terminate -- that because we're married and have lots of money, basically we have no excuse not to raise the child. Well, here's my excuse: I don't want to. And that's the best reason of all not to do so.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

I've recently thought about this topic as well. My thoughts were basically word for word what you wrote. Nice to know I'm not alone in my thinking.

Feh23 said...

I'm right here with the both of you.
No one encourages me to care for animals I have no interest in and I truly feel that raising a human involves a great deal more responsibility.

Unknown said...

akh098 here from india !

I am a male 24 yrs old and this is the reason (pregnant by accident) i have not proceeded with some pretty girls who showed interest in me ! What if she gets pregnant by accident. Sex is lustful ! (frankly speaking)

I think i wont marry before i get myself operated. (small operation).

I agree with you regarding abortion. Unwanted and unplanned pregnancy is very common. We as CF by choice society have certain goals and kids dont fit in our goals.

Here are the details of Sept 12 the Day of Conception in Russia !

http://www.sptimesrussia.com/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=22669

Enjoy your weekend, Childfree :)

Indy said...

ITA. I thought the movie "Knocked Up" was unbelievably ridiculous. She had SUCH a great career just starting, and then she decides to keep an unplanned baby from a one night stand with a guy who is going absolutely nowhere? Then she actually falls in love with him. I think THAT might have been the most glaringly unreaslistic part for me. When she told him she loved him, I yelled "WHY?"